Frequently Asked Questions
What's an organizing session like?
Professional organizing helps you take control of your spaces, your time, and your belongings -- for life.
My approach is customized for each of my clients’ individual situations and goals. Before we get down to work, I thoroughly assess your needs, taking into consideration your budget, lifestyle, learning style, and how hands-on you’d like to be. With that in mind, I’ll work with you onsite or remotely to come up with a game plan to develop an organizational system that works for you. It doesn’t stop there, though. Once we’re done implementing your customized solution, I’ll leave you with concrete action items to help maintain your solution for days, months, and years to come.
Every organization project is different, but in most, we work through phases that address the past, present, and future.
The past: If you have an accumulation of things you may no longer need, we sort through it efficiently to distinguish the “keepers” from the things that can be responsibly redistributed out into your community.
The present: We reorganize the keepers and determine placement and maintenance plans that are intuitive to you.
The future: We decide on a few habits and strategies that you can use to help you stay organized moving forward.
Why am I having trouble doing this on my own?
You may have had one or more big transitions recently, and while you were in survival mode, things got out of hand. Maybe you had systems that worked for you in the past but don’t in your current life. Maybe you try to declutter on your own but get bogged down in piles of discards. Short-term solutions can feel like a waste, as the clutter keeps coming back. The causes of disorganization in the busy, modern world are many, and it’s hard to know where to start.
Making an appointment with an organizer means you will finally succeed in carving out the necessary time and attention to tackle these problems.
By enlisting my help, you use that time and attention as efficiently and sustainably as possible because you benefit from my best practices and proven techniques.
What are the benefits of getting organized?
You get a system designed just for you.
• Create a “home” that makes sense to you for each category of items.
• Keep track of appointments.
• Make decisions about how to handle routine tasks just once, instead of every day.
• Free your physical and mental spaces.
• Feel more relaxed about your responsibilities.
You can take care of the world around you.
• Teach your kids valuable life skills.
• Develop easy systems for donating unneeded items.
• Create a simple process for recycling.
• Save resources by knowing what you have and avoiding over-purchasing.
You can save time and money.
• Avoid buying duplicate items you know you have but can't seem to find.
• Run errands faster.
• Stop spending time hunting for lost items.
• Never again pay a late-payment fee.
• Have time to bargain-hunt.
• Identify tax deductions because you can locate your receipts.
• Deduct charitable donations of items you no longer need.
• Stop paying for storage space.
You may even make money.
• Recognize and deposit checks received in the mail.
• Find checks and cash that have been buried.
• Pursue unpaid invoices.
• Make time for publicity and marketing.
• Enhance your professional image.
Is your work confidential? What are your ethical commitments to your clients?
Your clutter is safe with me.
When we work together, you can expect full confidentiality as well as an accepting, calm, and motivated attitude as we work together to bring more energy to your spaces.
I follow the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals’’ Code of Ethics.
How much do your services cost?
I try hard to tailor my services to your needs...
|A la Carte Hourly Rate*||$75||$65||$55|
|30-min consultation (by phone or video)||✓||✓||✓|
|In-depth assessment and project plan||✓||✓||✓|
|Personalized tips for maintaining long-term organization||✓||✓||✓|
|Onsite, hands-on decluttering and organization services||✓||✓|
|Post-session follow-up and troubleshooting||✓|
|Donation & recycling removal||✓|
* For locations 30-45 minutes from 48105, add $10/hr.
I live across the country. Can you still help?
What are your credentials?
I’ve been making my living as a professional organizer for more than 12 years, and I’m one of only five Certified Professional Organizers in Michigan. I’m active in the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals and am certified by the Board of Certification for Professional Organizers. Most importantly, though, see what my past clients have to say about their experiences working with me here.